Earth Day 2016 is just around the corner and you should prepare for it by going green now.
We are now entering the 46th year of a movement that continues to inspire, challenge ideas, ignite passion, and motivate people to action.
In 1970, the year of our first Earth Day, the movement gave voice to an emerging consciousness, channeling human energy toward environmental issues. Forty-six years later, we continue to lead with groundbreaking ideas and by the power of our example. – Earth Day Network
Whether you agree with Global Warming or not, the facts are in front of us. We are using fossil fuels globally more each year. Deforestation is occurring at an alarming rate, where forests are predicted to no longer exist in 100 years. Wild animal populations like the Polar Bear are fighting extinction due to polar ice breaking up in the arctic due to warmer weather.
Earth Day 2016 falls on April 22nd this year and is a great way to take the time to focus on doing what is right. You can go to a local rally or event in your area, plant a tree, and you can also add some technology in your life to save power to take part on Earth Day 2016.
Nest Learning Thermostat – $223.50 at Amazon.com
- Nest saves energy by automatically turning itself down when you’re away
- Auto-schedule – nest remembers the temperatures you like and programs itself. Easy install – most homeowners install nest themselves in 30 minutes or less. After that, it’s just a matter of changing the temperature
- 2Nd generation design – nest is now 20-percent thinner and works in 95-percent of homes with low Voltage systems
- Auto-Away: Nest saves energy by automatically turning itself down when you’re away
- Auto-schedule: Remembers the temperatures you like and programs itself. Easy install – most homeowners install nest themselves in 30 minutes or less. After that, it’s just a matter of changing the temperature
- 2nd generation design: Now 20-percent thinner and works in 95-percent of homes with low Voltage systems
- Remote control: Connect Nest to Wi-Fi to control it from your smartphone, laptop or tablet
Anker 21W 2-Port USB Solar Charger – $55.99 at Amazon.com
- Fast Charging Technology: PowerIQ delivers the fastest possible charging speed up to 2.4 amps per port or 3 amps overall under direct sunlight. 21 watt SunPower solar array is 21.5-23.5% efficient, providing enough power to charge two devices simultaneously.
- Incredibly Durable: Industrial-strength PET polymer faced solar panels sewn into a rugged polyester canvas offer weather-resistant outdoor durability.
- Highly Portable: Compact size (11.1 × 6.3in folded or 26.4× 11.1in opened) and stainless-steel eye-holes on each corner allow easy attachment to backpacks, trees, or tents. Lightweight (14.7 oz) and ultra-thin design (1.1in folded or 0.2in opened) make it ideal for long treks.
WeMo Light Switch – $48.33 at Amazon.com
- Turn lights on or off -from anywhere; from the office or around the globe. Easy to install and simple to use.
- Works with any one-way connection lights, but not compatible with 3-way (multi-location control) switches
- Works with your existing Wi-Fi router and any Apple – (iOS 8 or higher) and Android 4.1 or higher device. Electrical Rating120V/15A/60Hz/1800W
Belkin Conserve Power Switch – $8.79 at Amazon.com
- Draws zero power when off
- Reduces clutter of unplugged devices
WeMo Switch – $38.34 at Amazon.com
- Turn appliances and electronics on or off from anywhere. Never worry if you left the iron, coffeemaker or hair straightener on. Turn on the nightlight for your little ones!
- Easy to install and simple to use
- Set schedules and receive customized notifications
- Works with any smartphone or tablet running Android 4.1 and higher or iOS 8 and higher. Electrical Rating120V/15A/60Hz/1800W
Philips 455303 Hue White Starter A19 Kit, 2nd Generation – $79.99 at Amazon.com
- New and enhanced Hue white kit now upgraded from 750 to 800 lumens. with increased internal storage for added functionality
- Works with Alexa for voice control. Also works with HomeKit for Apple iPhone integration (IOS 9 users only).Control your lights with Siri voice control. Turn your existing Hue lights into HomeKit controllable lights and discover exciting new uses through 3rd party Homekit apps
- Gives you total control over your lighting from your smart phone or tablet – even when you’re away from home
- Set timers and alarms, connect to a variety of apps, dim the light and more (cannot be used with conventional dimmers)
Cree BA19-08050OMF-12CE26-1C100 Connected 60W Equivalent Daylight (5000K) A19 Dimmable LED Light Bulb – $14.97 at Amazon.com
- Connected LED bulb – easily control light from anywhere
- Compatible with multiple platforms including Amazon Echo, wink, wemo, smartphones and zigbee certified hubs (hub sold separately)
- 60 watt equivalent LED bulb provides an omnidirectional all-around light source Unmatched by any other connected LED bulb
- Easily dim or brighten to the perfect setting, schedule lights to come on automatically at the start of the day, or turn on lights for added security when you are away from home, all from the palm of your hand
Belkin Conserve Insight Energy Use Monitor – $26.68 at Amazon.com
- See how much different devices cost to use on a yearly or monthly basis
- Shows power plant carbon dioxide emissions (carbon footprint) from using your devices
- Tracking feature monitors your actual device usage over time and projects the dollar impact on your electric bill
- Preloaded with US average electricity cost; you can also set your own rate from your electric bill
- 6 foot cord allows you to read display at eye-level or place on a table
Renewable Energy World – Google Play Store
RenewableEnergyWorld.com now provides the latest renewable energy news and information for easy access on most mobile platforms, including iPhone, Android, and more, through its Renewable Energy World news app.
ecobee3 Smarter Wi-Fi Thermostat with Remote Sensor – $237 at Amazon.com
- Smart, really smart – intuitively understands when to turn on your heating or cooling equipment based on your home’s unique energy profile, the weather outside, and thousands of other data points to make sure you’re comfortable at all times
- Knows you have a life – senses whether anyone’s home and which rooms are occupied, delivering comfort when you’re at home and saving you energy and money when you’re not
- Lowers your energy bills – ecobee saves homeowners an average of 23% annually, paying for itself in energy savings
Samsung SmartThings Outlet – $54.99 at Amazon.com
- Power things like coffee machines, Crock-Pots, A/C units, portable heaters and fans using your smartphone.
- Save energy by restricting power to electronics or appliances or receive alerts if lights or electronics were accidentally left on.
Samsung SmartThings Home Monitoring Kit – $223.87 at Amazon.com
- Get immediate alerts on your smartphone if there’s unexpected entry or motion in your home
- Secure dangerous, valuable or off-limit areas of your home
- Control lamps, electronics or small appliances
- Trigger lights to automatically turn on when there’s motion and turn off when people leave
You can also learn more at these websites and/or make a donation.
California National Parks
Arbor Day Foundation
Earth Day Network
World Wildlife Federation