Why we need to change Outlook data file (.pst) location?
- In Outlook previous version, the outlook data file (.pst) is created and saved in hidden folder. So generally, you cannot see and back up it easily. In order to make back up easier, move Outlook data file from default location to another folder is necessary.
- In Outlook latest version, the Outlook data file has been saved in DocumentsOutlook Files automatically while you created it. But if you don’t like it save in this location or you don’t expect it occupying system drive, you can move it to another folder in other hard drive.
How to change Outlook data file (.pst) default location?
This article takes Outlooks 2010 to show how you can move Outlook data file (.pst) to different folder.
1. Save items in Outlook 2010 and exit.
2. Open Windows Explorer and move the outlook data file (.pst) to new location.
3. Restart Outlook.
4. An error dialog box appears that notified an Outlook data file could not be found.
5. Click OK.
6. In the “Create/Open Outlook Data File” dialog box, browse to the new location, and select the outlook data file (.pst) you moved. And then click Open.
From then on, the Outlook data file (.pst) will save in this new location, if you don’t change its location later.