HTC Touch HD Soft reset
Resetting Your Device
If you experience some sluggishness with your HTC Touch HD, you can perform a reset to shut down all programs and restart your device.
To perform a HTC Blackstone soft reset
1. Pull out the stylus.
2. Remove the back cover.
3. Use the stylus to press the RESET button located between the SIM card and storage card slots. Your device restarts and displays the Home screen.
HTC Touch HD hard reset
You can also perform a hard reset (also known as a full reset). A hard reset should only be performed if a normal reset does not solve a system problem. After a hard reset, the device is restored to its default settings—the way it was when you first purchased it and turned it on. Any programs you installed, data you entered, and settings you customized on your device will be lost. Only Windows Mobile® software and other pre-installed programs will remain.
Warning! Your device will be set back to factory default settings. Make sure that any additional installed programs and/or user data have been backed up before you perform a hard reset
Important If Encrypt files when placed on a storage card is enabled, backup all files from the storage card before using Clear Storage, hard reset, or updating the ROM system software. Otherwise you will no longer be able to access the encrypted files on the storage card. Use ActiveSync or Windows Mobile Device Center to transfer files between your storage card and computer. After the procedure, copy your files back to the storage card.
To perform a HTC Touch HD hard reset
1. With the device turned off, press and hold the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons, then briefly press the POWER button.
2. Continue pressing the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons until you see this message on the screen:
3. Release the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons.
4. Press the VOLUME UP button to perform the hard reset, or press any other button to cancel the reset.
Touch HD Clear Storage
You can also use Clear Storage to reset your device back to factory default settings.
1. On the Home screen, slide to the Settings tab and then tap All Settings.
2. On the System tab, tap Clear Storage.
3. Enter “1234” and then tap Yes.
Before you buy a new cell phone or new tablet, please try the following procedure to repair your device. First charge your battery, backup your important data if possible and in most cases take out SIM and SD card before factory reset. It is impossible to recover your data after doing a hard reset, so online backup is always important. For all of your data, a backup should be done on an external device, hard drive, raid system or media. With or without insurance, if your cell phone lost, damaged or stolen at least your invaluable data is backed up in a safe place. If you are about to sell your phone and you want to wipe your personal data, or if your phone affected with virus you have to do a hard reset. In some cases, you can delete the forgotten password or lock pattern from your device as well. All information is for devices with stock based ROMs. If you are using rooted device, always back up your EFS folder first, containing your IMEI info, etc.!