If you own LG G5, it’s time to update it to the latest firmware. You can update LG G5 using OTA but if that doesn’t work for you for some unknown reasons, you can follow this method. To help everyone, we will first discuss how to update LG G5 modular phone using the OTA update and then we will how to do it manually.
How to Update LG G5 via OTA update
To update your phone, you should take the safest route first. OTA is the safest route since it’s the way phone manufacturers deliver the official updates to your phone. If there is a new firmware version for LG G5, you can get it using the OTA feature. Here is how it works.
- Check phone notifications. If there is an OTA update available for your phone, you should get a notification from LG.
- If there is no notification but you’re sure there is a new firmware out for your device, you should follow these steps to receive the OTA notification.
- Switch on your phone and enable internet connection.
- Go to Settings and select About Phone from there. You will then see an option for Software Version. Touch it.
- On the next screen, you will be able to check whether there is a new version available for your phone. A notification will be displayed if there is a new version available over the air.
- Follow the instructions on screen to install this new update on your LG G5 phone.
Since OTA delivers official updates, it’s always safe to update your phone using these updates. Moreover, when you update LG G5 using OTA, you don’t void your warranty.
========> How to root LG G5 <========
But if there is no OTA and you still want to update LG G5 to the latest Android firmware, you can use manual update procedure given below.
How to manually update LG G5 to the latest Android firmware?
In order to manually upgrade LG G5, you will need the updated firmware file. You will then flash it to your phone using LG Flash tools.
NOTE: This method should be used only to update LG G5. You can also install a custom ROM using this method. All you have to do is to use a different ROM instead of the official stock ROM.
Warning: This method will void your warranty unlike the OTA method. You should understand risks before you proceed. We are not responsible for voided warranty of any other damage caused by this method.
Follow the steps below to use this method to update LG G5.
Step 1: Downloads
Download the required files. The list of files with download links is given below for your convenience.
Step 2: Developer Options and USB Debugging
- Enable Developer options on your phone. You can check LG G5 specs to see how to turn on the developer mode for your phone.
- Once you have developer options enabled, it’s time to turn on USB Debugging.
- Now charge your phone and set it aside for now.
Step 3: Installations
- Install drivers for your phone on your computer. This should take a minute if you have already downloaded the driver file.
- Install LG Flash tool. Follow on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
Step 4: Flashing
Now you have everything setup. It’s time to flash and upgrade LG G5 to the latest stock firmware.
- Run LG Flash tool.
- Switch off your phone.
- Restart your phone and go to fastboot by holding a specific combination of keys when the phone is booting up.
- Now establish a connection between your phone and computer using a USB cable.
- As soon as you connect the phone and you have LG Flash tools opened, you should see on-screen prompts inside the Flash tool. Simply follow these prompts.
- Your phone should be flashed and updated to the stock firmware.
This is an easy to follow tutorial to update LG G5 to the latest version. If you have any problems, be sure to ask in comments section below.