If you want to root Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, we have a comprehensive tutorial for you. Simply follow the easy steps below and you will end up with a rooted Xiaomi Redmi Note in your hands.
Sounds easy? Let’s get moving.
What you need to do before you root Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
When you decide to root Xiaomi Note 4, you have to to make sure that you meet the following conditions.
- You should charge your phone before you proceed with this tutorial.
- You will need to use a Windows PC to follow the method.
- To unlock the bootloader, you will need Mi Unlock Tool. Download it here.
- You also need ADB fastboot tool for this tutorial. Download this tool here.
- Download TWRP Recovery here.
- Finally, you need SuperSU to root your phone after you have installed the custom recovery. Download SuperSU here.
Now that you have everything that you need to proceed with this rooting tutorial, it’s time to obtain root access to Redmi Note 4.
How to root Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
To root Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, you first need to unlock its bootloader and then install a custom recovery. After that, you need to install SuperSU to complete the rooting procedure. It takes only a few minutes and everyone can do it with the help of easy steps below.
Step 1: Unlock the bootloader
The first step in this tutorial is to unlock the bootloader. Here is how to do it on this phone.
- Visit MiUnlock official website.
- Create an account with Xiaomi and request for unlocking bootloader on your phone. You may have to provide information such as your phone number and phone model here. Go ahead, provide all the information Xiaomi needs and move to the next step.
- Go to your phone and sign in using the account you just created on the website.
- Go to the folder on your computer where you downloaded Mi Unlock tool. If you haven’t downloaded it yet, scroll up and download the tool from the link provided earlier.
- Unzip the unlocking tool and run MiFlashUnlock.exe file as an ‘administrator’. You will find this file inside the folder where you unzipped the unlocking tool.
- Now run the tool and sign in using the Mi account you created earlier.
- This tool will check if your phone has been granted the rooting permission.
- Now turn off your phone and connect it to the computer using a USB cable.
Now if you have done everything right, you should see ‘unlock’ button on the tool. Press this button to unlock the bootloader on your favorite Xiaomi phone.
If this doesn’t work, apply for unlocking again at Xiaomi website. This time, be sure to provide a good reason so the company gives you the unlocking permissions.
Step 2: Flash TWRP Custom Recovery
To flash TWRP Custom Recovery on your mobile, you need to follow the simple steps below.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone. You can do so by going to Settings>About Device>Developer Option. If you don’t see Developer options on your phone, simply tap on Build Number seven times. You will then see Developer Options.
- Now go to the folder where you downloaded ADB Fastboot. Inside that folder, look for a file named ‘command.bat’. Run this file as an ‘administrator’. You will get the option to run the file as administrator when you right click on the file.
- Now you should have a command prompt running on your PC. You will enter some commands here to install TWRP on your phone.
Commands to enter:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery
Once you have entered the commands, you should have a phone with TWRP recovery installed on it. Now you can do a lot of stuff with your phone such as rooting, installing custom ROMs, and so on.
We can now root this phone in just a minute. Follow the next step to root.
Step 3- Install SuperSU
Follow the simple instructions below to install SuperSU and root Xiaomi Redmi Note 4.
- Go to the folder where you downloaded SuperSU file. Don’t extract it.
- Move this zip file to your mobile. You can do so by connecting your phone to your PC using a USB cable.
- Once you have moved the file, turn off your phone and disconnect it from the PC.
- Now put your phone in recovery mode by pressing Volume Up+Power Button.
- The first button on the recovery screen is “Install”. Press it and browse the SuperSU.zip that you just placed in your phone memory.
- Once you have loaded the file, your phone will start installing it. Let it install.
Once done, you can restart your phone in normal mode. Now you have root Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 phone with you. Go ahead and check its root status using any rooting app you want.