Huawei Nexus 6P was released along with LG Nexus 5X. Today you will learn how to root Huawei Nexus 6P and install TWRP. Once you have rooted your Nexus phone and installed custom recovery (TWRP), you can flash any custom ROM. You can also upgrade it manually to later Android builds as they come along.
How to root Huawei Nexus 6P
There is still no Nexus 6P root toolkit released but there is an easy way around. You can root Huawei Nexus 6P using this easy procedure.
Requirements for the procedure to work
For this rooting procedure to work, certain requirements need to me met.
- You should charge your phone to avoid any complications during the rooting procedure.
- You should check your device for version of Android. It should be Android 6.0 Marshmallow. This guide won’t work on other versions.
- You need to install USB drivers for your mobile on your PC. You can download drivers for your mobile from this page or simply download from official website.
- You should enable USB debugging on your phone. This guide will not work if this feature is turned off on your mobile phone.
Before you proceed, you need to read these important warnings.
- You are going to root your phone at your own risk. We don’t take responsibility for anything that might happen to your phone.
- Rooting your phone voids its warranty. This is your own decision and you are the only one responsible for violation of warranty terms.
- Rooting your phone might result in a bricked phone. A bricked phone is as good as dead. You can’t use it except for a brick.
Procedure to root Huawei Nexus 6P running Android 6.0 Marshmallow
To root Huawei Nexus 6P, you need to download some files first. Here is the list of these files.
Once you have downloaded all files, follow this procedure for one click root Nexus 6P.
Install Android SDK from the file you downloaded above. Once installed, you should have an installation directory. Save TWRP file inside the folder android-sdk-windows/platform-tools. You will find this directory inside SDK installation directory on your computer.
Copy Fastboot file to the same directory as well.
Turn on your phone and connect it to your PC using a USB cable. Copy SuperSU zip file to internal memory on your device. Be sure to put it in the root directory and not in any sub-folder.
Switch off your phone and restart it in Bootloader mode.
Now go to your PC and run the command prompt inside the directory where you copied TWRP and SuperSU files. To run command prompt inside a folder, simply right click in a blank area and open command prompt.
Once you have the command prompt opened, type “fastboot flash recovery filename.img” and press Enter. Replace filenname with the file name of your recovery image file [TWRP in this case].
Now enter recovery mode from Fastboot menu and flash the SuperSU file. Follow these easy steps to flash this file using TWRP.
- Enter the Fastboot mode on your phone by selecting specific combination of hard keys.
- From Fastboot mode, go to Recovery (TWRP in this case).
- One in Recovery, choose an option to flash ZIP from SD card. Use volume keys to scroll up and down in Recovery mode.
- Browse the SuperSU file and confirm installation.
- Once completed, you should have SuperSU installed on your phone.
Now verify root status of your phone. Your phone is rooted if you followed all steps in order and carefully.