Samsung has announced their latest chipset for smartphones, the Exynos 7 Octa 7870 14nm processor targeted at mid-range smartphones. It comes with built-in LTE Cat.6 modem which offers download speed of 300Mbps and FDD-TDD joint carrier aggregation. Commenting on the launch, Samsung said “The new Exynos 7 Octa 7870 processor consumes over 30 percent less power than mobile SoCs built with 28nm High-k Metal Gate process technology at the same performance level”.
The processor supports 1.6GHz x 8 ARM Cortex A53 CPUs, it supports up to WUXGA display with resolution of 1920×1080 pixels. The processor supports Video recording at 1080p with 60fps video playback. The SoC supports up to 16MP for both rear and front facing camera or 8MP each in dual camera mode.
Specifications of Samsung Exynos 7 Octa 7870 SoC:
- 1.6GHz x 8 ARM Cortex A53 CPUs
- Cat 6 speeds up to 300 Mbps. carrier aggregation in the down link and up link on LTE FDD and LTE TDD
- It is based on 14 nanometer FinFET process technology
- Supports display up to WUXGA with resolution of 1920 x 1200 pixels
- Cameras up to 16MP for both rear and front facing cameras, or 8MP each in dual camera mode
- Supports 1080p Video playback at 60fps
Commenting on the launch Ben K.Hur, Vice President of System LSI marketing, Samsung Electronics, said, “With increased performance and power efficiency, we anticipate widespread adoption of our new Exynos 7 Octa 7870 into mid-tier mobile devices.Consumers will experience enhanced performance as this is the first time a mobile application processor built on advanced 14nm process is available for these types of smart mobile devices”.
Samsung said that the 14nm FinFET process will be implemented in other SoC’s as well slowly and the Exynos 7 Octa 7870 SoC will being mass production from first quarter of 2016.