The display on your smartphone and tablets is arguably the most important external feature. While all metal or glass designs are great, you interact most with your touch screen most.
Glass displays have come a long way in a short time, with Corning leading the way with Gorilla Glass 4. The latest glass is quite strong, but can still be scratched or cracked depending on the situation.
Having a cracked display is ugly and can affect the performance of your touch screen. Protecting your display with a screen protector from the start is a great investment if you’re the type who is rough on their devices.
Which kind of screen protector to get: glass versus plastic
There are two types of screen protectors sold to protect your devices: tempered glass and plastic.
Glass protectors are much clearer than plastic. Plastic can distort or obscure light as it is not nearly as hard as glass making it much less smooth and even. If you want to maintain the quality of your display, especially if you have 2k displays, glass is the way to go.
The main advantage to go with plastic is the cost is much cheaper than tempered glass. But with more people switching over to glass, the price is coming down rather quickly. Plastic screen protectors can be as cheap as a dollar on sites such as Amazon, but you get what you pay for.
A couple of years ago, glass screen protectors used to cost over $30, but can now regularly be found for about $10.
Almost all tablets and smartphones come with glass displays nowadays. Glass is extremely smooth and your fingers glide over it rather easily. Plastic on the other hand can be tacky, and feels nothing like your original display. If you want to maintain the feel, you should consider glass as your material of choice.
If you have ever installed a screen protector, you would know the biggest downside to them is the installation factor. Plastic is extremely flimsy, and is very difficult to apply to a smartphone, let alone a tablet. Air bubbles are a given and can ruin the look of a display if not installed properly. Glass screen protectors are much easier to install with their rigidity, and can be removed and reapplied without folding in on itself.
When it comes to screen protectors, I always recommend glass. Plastic screen protectors will work, but don’t match up to the quality of glass. It’s why phones and tablets have glass displays to start with. Places like BestBuy will sell and install screen protectors, but you can install them yourself if you follow the instructions and start with a very clean surface.
I have some recommendations listed below from Amazon for a host of Android devices.
Nexus 6P Screen Protector [Cutout for Proximity Sensor] PLESON – $7.95
- Industry-leading Japanese special processed glass to ensure maximum protection, offers TRUE HD 99.9% transparency, high sensitive operation, comfortable touch and HD clarity. Easy installation and no residue when removed.
- Round Edge [0.3mm] 99.9% High-definition clear hydrophobic and oleophobic screen coating protects against sweat and oil & water residue from fingerprints. Featuring maximum protection from high impact drops, scratches, scrapes, bumps. Scratch resistant, Shatterproof, Perfect Clarity and Touchscreen Functionality/ No Rainbow Screen/Bubble-free.
[2 Pack] Nexus 6P Screen protector, OMOTON 0.26mm 2.5D Tempered Glass Screen Protector – $8.58
- Hardness (harder than a knife¡¯s blade) effectively resists scratch by key, knife and any other sharp objects.
- High transparency (99.99% light transmission Ratio) preserves the original screen brightness.
- Only 0.26 mm in thickness maintains original response sensitivity and touch feeling. Oleophobic coating reduces smudges and fingerprint, ensures easy cleaning. High quality glue guarantees 3 minutes bubble-free installation.
Nexus 5X Screen protector,Yoozon Nexus 5X Tempered Glass Screen Protector – $7.95
- Made from the Highest Quality Tempered-Glass with 9H Super Tough protects From scratches to high impact drops.
- 99.99% HD Clarity and Maintains the Original Touch Experience.
- 9H Strong Hardness Anti Scratch: three times stronger than a regular screen protector film.
- Protect Your Screen from Scratches and Drops
LG G5 Screen Protector, PLESON LG G5 Tempered Glass Screen Protector – $7.85
- Industry-leading Japanese special processed glass to ensure maximum protection, TRUE HD 99.9% transparency maintain the original quality of your Phone’s viewing experience. Easy installation and no residue when removed.
- Precise laser cut tempered glass (Hardness: 9H), 0.2mm, 2.5D Rounded Edges. High-response, High-transparency, and High transparency, Featuring maximum protection from high impact drops, scratches, scrapes, bumps. Scratch resistant, Shatterproof, Perfect Clarity and Touchscreen Functionality / No Rainbow Screen / Bubble-free.
LG V10 Screen Protector,Yootech LG V10 Tempered Glass – $7.95
- Specifically designed for LG V10
- Made with rounded edges screen protector. Anti-shatter/ oleophobic coating / water-proof.
- Hardness:9H thickness: 0.26mm
- HD ultra-clear with high sensitivity and comfortable touch feeling
Samsung Galaxy Note 5
JETech Tempered Glass Screen Protector – $7.99
- Made with high quality 0.33mm thick premium tempered glass with rounded edges. Extremely high hardness: resists scratches up to 9H (harder than a knife)
- High-response, high-transparency, and high transparency
- Dust-free, fingerprint-free, one-push super easiy installation, bubble free
Samsung Galaxy S7
JOTO Full Screen Tempered Glass Screen Protector – $17.99
- Full screen coverage, edge to edge full screen protection for Samsung Galaxy S7 (SM-G930)
- Premium grade tempered glass (9H hardness surface) with HD transparency; True touch sensitivity; Ultra thin (0.30mm thinkness)
- Bubble-free installation, only take seconds; Advanced silicon adhesive, no residue when remove
- Scratch resistant; Shock-resistant; anti-oil and anti-fingerprints
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
S7 Edge Screen Protector, iCoolkit 0.2mm 9H 3D Tempered Glass Screen Protector – $15.99
- 3D CURVED FIT, Full Coverage Tempered Glass Screen Protector – Made for Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Super AMOLED display including Curved.
- HD ULTRA CLEAR – Designed for maximum transparency and touch sensitivity. The way your HD display is intended to be viewed! Made with high quality 0.2mm thick premium tempered glass with 3D rounded edges exclusively for Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.
- EXCEPTIONALLY STRONG – Made with Premium Grade A Japanese Asahi Tempered glass. 9H Hardness crafted to have better scratch resistance than steel, so it can withstand hits and dings.
- OLEOPHOBIC COATING – Easy to clean,provides an effective barrier against water, oil and dust. You can kiss annoying smudges and fingerprints goodbye.
Full coverage Tempered GLASS screen protector – $17.98
- Tempered Glass Screen Protector, full coverage.
- 9H hardness, 0.2mm Thickness
- No gap between phone screen and screen protector
HTC One A9
Glass Screen Protector Danyee LIFETIME WARRANTY Premium 0.33mm 2.5d Tempered Glass Screen Protector – $5.49