Xiaomi held a launch event at the MWC 2016 in Barcelona and announced the much awaited Xiaomi Mi 5. Just prior to the event held at MWC, there was another Xiaomi event held in China, where they announced the Xiaomi Mi 5 and the updated Xiaomi Mi 4S as well.
The launch of the Xiaomi Mi 4s came as a surprise to everyone because no one was expecting them to launch an updated version of their old phone when the newer model in the same series was being announced. Anyway, since they have launched both these models, let me just go ahead and compare them with you.
The Xiaomi Mi 5 was launched in 3 different variants, and going by the price point, let me compare the most basic version of the Mi 5 with the Mi 4s, just to have fair apples to apples comparison, so to say. You can check out the details about the other two variants here – Xiaomi Mi 5 Specifications
Similarities between Xiaomi Mi 5 and Mi 4s
- Both the smartphones come with 3GB of RAM
- Both the smartphones come with Android Marshmallow based MIUI 7
- Both the smartphones feature a full-HD display
- Both feature a fingerprint reader
|Xiaomi Mi 5||Xiaomi Mi 4s|
|Display||5.15-inch Full HD IPS LCD display||5-inch Full HD IPS LCD display|
|Processor||Snapdragon 820 processor clocked at 1.8GHz||Snapdragon 808 processor|
|RAM and Storage||3GB RAM, 32GB Storage (non-expandable)||3GB RAM, 64GB Storage (expandable via a microSD card)|
|Camera||16 MP, f/2.0, phase detection autofocus, OIS, dual-LED (dual tone) flash and 4 MP front facing camera with 2 microns pixel size||13 MP, f/2.0, phase detection autofocus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash and 5 MP front facing camera|
|OS||Android Marshmallow 6.0 based MIUI 7||Android Marshmallow 6.0 based MIUI 7|
|Battery||3000mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0||3260mAh battery with Quick Charge 2.0|
|Additional Features||Fingerprint Sensor, Active Noise cancellation with dedicated mic, Physical Home Button||Fingerprint Sensor, Active Noise cancellation with dedicated mic|
Differences between Xiaomi Mi 5 and Mi 4s
- The Xiaomi Mi 5 comes with a Snapdragon 820 processor, whereas the Mi 4s comes with a Snapdragon 808 processor.
- The Xiaomi Mi 5 has a 5.15-inch screen whereas the Mi 4s has a 5-inch screen.
- The storage on the models being compared is different. The Mi 4s comes with 64GB of storage with expansion via a microSD card, whereas the Mi 5 comes with 32GB of storage without the option for a microSD card.
- The camera on both the smartphones is different. The Mi 5 features a 16-megapixel camera whereas the one on Mi 4s is a 13-megapixel camera.
- The battery on the Xiaomi Mi 4s is a larger 3260mAh battery when compared to the 3000mAh battery of the Mi 5.
- Xiaomi Mi 5 supports Quick Charge 3.0 whereas the Mi 4s supports Quick Charge 2.0
The reason for choosing the base version of the Xiaomi Mi 5 to compare with the Xiaomi Mi 4s was because both these devices are priced at the same amount. They both are priced at 1999 Yuan in China, and both will be available there starting 1st March. Meanwhile, we are still waiting for Xiaomi to announce the availability of these products in India.